Wednesday, September 4, 2013

IWSG: What Ifs

This is my post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. It's a group thought up by the ninja himself, Alex J. Cavanaugh. The group posts the first Wednesday of every month and is a wonderful way to support and get encouragement from and for your fellow writers. If you would like to join the group or see the other blogs that participate in it go HERE.



I've been on this journey now for two years. I've written two books, started two more, posted countless blog posts, and networked with the most amazing people.

I'm getting closer to  where I want to be...published.

I've sent out a few rounds of query letters for the collab I wrote with the phenomenal Kelley Lynn. We got rejections and one revise and resubmit, but didn't bother me. Kelley and I are in it together.

But, now I've sent out two query letters for Awakened, my YA paranormal. Both these queries are for information. The agent either requests or tells you why they don't want it. I got the first one back and wasn't surprised by the response...

Nothing special. Didn't stand out.

I love my story and I think it's great, but there's this little voice in my head that keeps saying, 'What if there's nothing special about this. What if there's nothing to make it stand out.'

I used to think it was special. I used to think it was fabulous. Was that because it is or was that because I was naive?

So, does my story suck? Or just the voice in my head?

Photobucket

13 comments:

ilima said...

You are special and your story doesn't suck. And one day an agent will feel the same way and you will party together! :) In the meantime, keep writing, keep querying, keep trying. Don't give up!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It is special. It's all in the timing. Just keep sending and you will find someone who thinks it's just as special.

jabblog said...

Believe in yourself. One person's opinion is just that.

Suzanne Furness said...

So agree with Ilima. Keep going it is such a subjective business. Good luck :)

M.J. Fifield said...

I agree with what the other four commenters had to say. It is a subjective business, and it is in the timing. But you will find someone who loves it just as much as you do.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I agree with everyone else, but I know the feeling. Because that's what I wonder about a project I've worked on for 10 years on and off and haven't queried. I wonder if I should just put it in a drawer.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Hey people have gotten triple digit number of rejections then end publishing the same story others rejected. Don't give in.

Nicole said...

I'm betting your story is special! Maybe it's just a way of highlighting that specialness in queries so everyone else can see it shine too.

Yolanda Renee said...

It just takes time, and sometimes lots of it. Keep working you'll get there!

Carrie Butler said...

Don't let queries define your story. We believe in you!

Suzi said...

I'm a little late to the game here since this was posted last week. :)

Your story doesn't suck. I do believe that it takes hard work to write well, but I also believe it's partly luck. Because that agent or publisher wanted that story at that moment.

Things can change so easily within such a short time.

Tell that voice in your head to shut up and listen to your friends instead. :)

Elise Fallson said...

I agree with the commenters above. It's a largely subjective business and you could be having to deal with the timing. You're a good writer Jessica, and I believe Awakened will find a home. Keep the faith.(:

Chrys Fey said...

Getting rejections can make you doubt your book, but that doesn't make it any less wonderful! Brush off the rejections; they aren't as personal as we think they are, keep submitting, and keep believing that you'll get published, because you will!

Good luck!!!