Wednesday, August 7, 2013

IWSG: Measuring Up

This is my post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. It's a group thought up by the ninja himself, Alex J. Cavanaugh. The group posts the first Wednesday of every month and is a wonderful way to support and get encouragement from and for your fellow writers. If you would like to join the group or see the other blogs that participate in it go HERE.



I'm excited, nervous, thrilled, honored, and scared out of my mind. A couple months ago the wonderful a writer friend of mine announced that she wanted to selfpub a anthology of YA Christmas short stories this year and if was anyone interested. I immediately jumped at the chance.

But A: I've never written a short story and B: people will actually read something I've written.

I signed up to be part of the group, there's five of us total. Fast forward a couple months and the short is now written and we are passing them around to each other for critiques.

And I, of course like any good self doubting writer, am freaking out. All the other writer's are flippen amazing. What if my story doesn't measure up to the other's? What if people read the book and think it's great...all except for my story.

When you get to the point of achieving your dream of being published and having people actually read your stuff why is it so darn scary?


Photobucket

10 comments:

ilima said...

The scary will never ever go away, no matter how experienced you become, I think. It's the nature of writers, and I don't think it's a bad thing either. I certainly don't want to get to the point of thinking I'm amazing and patting myself on the back because I'm such a brilliant writer. Ugh. I'll take insecure over that. :) And I'm sure your story is wonderful! Good luck.

Barbara Watson said...

First of all, YAY!! But the scare will always be there, mostly, I think, because writing is a piece of ourselves.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome! Don't worry - I bet they are reading yours and thinking the same thing.

Rena said...

I think its awesome. The only way to get better is to keep going. And don't worry, your stuff is pretty awesome too, it's just hard to see your own work sometimes.

Emma Adams said...

That's awesome! I think insecurity is a necessary part of being a writer, it's completely normal! I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Suzi said...

Your story is going to be awesome. Can't wait to read the final version.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Because we fear rejection and sometimes success. Congrats and don't let fear stop you.

Beverly Fox said...

Hello Jessica! First off, lovely to meet you! I'm a new follower having just discovered you through IWSG and I wanted to take a second to say hi. So, hi!

Anyway, I'm not published myself, per say, but I have gotten better at exposing my writing to others and the only thing I've found to help with the fear is (yup, you guessed it!) EXPOSING MY WRITING TO OTHERS.

A few things to keep in mind: no one can possibly be as critical of your writing as you are so if you do share your writing you've already conquered your worst critic.

Number two: the only way we get better as writers is to experiment and share our stuff. I've learned so much more from the relatively short time I've spent sharing my writing than I did from years of not sharing it.

And number three: sharing our writing, when it really comes down to it, is why we write. No one ever writes a novel- pours their blood, sweat and tears into it- hoping that no one will ever read it. It's like building a house you hope no one will ever live in- it makes no sense.

So be brave, take the plunge and share your writing. I PROMISE you people will like it more than you think.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I'm going to guess that everyone in that group is feeling the same way. :) (And I've already heard yours is awesome! So no worries.) :)

Sarah said...

Awesome for you! I think I will always be scared to have others read my stuff. It is super nerve wracking.

I think as long as you are being true to yourself when you write, it makes it easier to be unapologetic to those that won't like it. Just keep plugging along, and continuing to improve.That's all we can really do anyway, right?