Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Author Interview: Lizzy Charles


Today for my Author Interview Series, I have Lizzy Charles, who's book Effortless With You came out yesterday.


JS:  Your book EFFORTLESS WITH YOU came out yesterday. Congratulations! Can you tell us a little about it? 
LC:  Thank you so much! It’s a surreal experience. I’d love to tell you about my novel. EFFORTLESS WITH YOU is about sixteen year old Lucy who’s prepped for the perfect summer. But after landing in trouble one too many times, her parents deal her the ultimate punishment: a summer job painting with Justin, the most popular, egotistical guy in school. Justin’s a jerk, but as Lucy’s intricately crafted social persona falls apart, she realizes that maybe there’s more to Justin than she thought. One thing’s for certain: it’s not the summer she wanted, but it might be exactly the one she needs.


JS:  How did you get the idea for this book? 
LC:  I loved the dynamic in Pride and Prejudice of Lizzy detesting Darcy. I wanted to write a novel that began with this conflict and edge, allowing the characters to unravel into their own unique relationship. 

JS:  Is this book a stand alone or will this be a series? 
LC:  Stand alone. 

JS:  How long did it take you to write this book? 
LC:  From first sentence to release date? Three years.
JS:  Did you always want to be a writer and when did you decide to become one? 
LC:  I’ve always wanted to be a writer, but, not surprisingly, I never managed to write a book until I decided to become one.

JS:  How many query letters did you send out? 
LC:  Oh man, between thirty and fifty. Unfortunately, my original query list disappeared with a computer crash. So I don’t know the exact number.

JS:  What are you working on now? 
LC:  It’s top secret! But I can say it’s a young adult contemporary romance that involves the smell of cow poop. ;-)

JS:  What’s your favorite thing about being a writer? 
LC:  I love getting lost in the story and discovering new things about my characters along the way.

JS:  Is Effortless With You the first book you’ve ever written? 
LC:  Yes.

JS:  What advice would you give to aspiring authors? 
LC:  Don’t give up, but don’t be foolish. If something isn’t getting a good response, figure out why. Find critique partners and compile writing resources (and use their suggestions!). Also, reach out to other authors. The writing community is incredibly supportive. Beta read and critique manuscripts. You’ll learn so much about writing, voice, and pacing that way. It’ll give you new eyes for your own manuscript.


Random Questions
1. Vanilla or chocolate? Chocolate. 
2. Coffee or tea? Tea. Always black. 
3. Beach or snow? Beach
4. Last book read? Friday Night Alibi by Cassie Mae 5. Favorite author? J.K. Rowling
6. Most played song on iPod? Beautiful Things by Gungor. 
7. Favorite movie? Oo! This one is so tough. That totally depends on my mood. At this exact moment, I’d want to watch Crazy, Stupid, Love. How’s that?
8. Outliner or panster? Combination. I jot the general idea of where each chunk needs to go, but I let it develop as well. My outlines are usually just one word points.
9. Flats or heels? Flats. After taking a break from heels for a year while pregnant, I haven’t relearned how to walk in them without looking like a fool.
10.Lipstick or chapstick? Chapstick.


Jessica, thank you so much for having me! I loved your questions. They were so much fun!

When Lizzy Charles isn’t scrambling to raise her two spunky toddlers or caring for premature and sick babies as a neonatal intensive care nurse, she’s in a quiet corner writing or snuggled up with a novel and a few squares of dark chocolate. Black tea keeps her constant and she loves guacamole. She married her high school sweet heart, a heart-melting musician, so it’s no surprise she’s fallen in love with writing contemporary YA romance novels.

Lizzy Charles on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lizzy-Charles/398829673547005?ref=hl
Blog: https://lizzycharles.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LizzyCharles_


Effortless With You on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18129111-effortless-with-you
Swoon Romance (publisher) site: http://www.myswoonromance.com/


Do you know Lizzy? Is this book on your TBR read list? Sound like something you'd like to read? Want to be a part of my Author Interview series? Click on the tab above.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great interview, Lizzie and Jessica. I loved Lizzie's advice to aspiring authors. So true. Good luck with your book, Lizzie.

Suzi said...

Congratulations Lizzie!

I've never been into heels. I've got a couple pair, but don't wear them often. And I have no idea how women walk in heels over 2". I've decided they keep their eyes down all the time, because when I do wear higher heels, I tend to find all the cracks in the parking lots and sidewalks. :)

Ifeoma Dennis said...

So fun! I had a good laugh reading this...especially when I got to the question about your next project.

Good luck Lizzy =D