Wednesday, May 1, 2013

IWSG: Bad Blogger

This is my post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. It's a group thought up by the ninja himself, Alex J. Cavanaugh. The group posts the first Wednesday of every month and is a wonderful way to support and get encouragement from and for your fellow writers. If you would like to join the group or see the other blogs that participate in it go HERE.



I feel bad. I have been a horrible blogger. I've barely posted and I haven't visited any blogs in awhile now. Why? Because I'm writing.

And I suppose that's a good thing...If it wasn't for my damn guilty conscience. I like to blog. I like to visit other peoples blogs. This writing community has taught me valuable things and given me priceless support. I've met my AMAZING critique group through it. The things I've received from blogging, couldn't be more meaningful to me.

But it's a MAJOR time suck. And I think everyone knows sometimes somethings got to give and unfortunately for me that something was my poor, sad, neglected blog.

And after all it's given me and all it's done for me, I feel bad neglecting it this way. But, what else can I do? I can't magically make more time in the day or less things for me to do.

So, yes, I'm a bad blogger.

I keep telling myself I'll post a blog today or visit some blogs tomorrow, but when I comes down to it...I'd rather write. So, thus my conundrum. I feel like a bad blogger, taking all the wonderful things blogging has given me and not returning anything.

So, here I go again. I'm going to try really hard to be around a little more. Blog at least once a week and visit other ones. But if I'm not around... you know where I am, writing cave. :)

Are you a bad blogger? Do you have a secret to balance?


Photobucket

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My balance isn't one most bloggers could manage!
If you can spare one to two hours a week, then just focus on one day of posting and visiting, and the rest of your time writing.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I had to laugh because I have an IWSG post titled "Bad Blogger" from a couple months ago! I totally feel this way all the time. I love blogging and want to do it more, but it's hard to do everything. Try not to worry about it and just do what you can when you can. :)

Michelle Gregory said...

Jessica, this is my first time here. i love the name of your blog. i've struggled with this too. and when life got crazy and we moved 5 times in 1 year, i let go of some of that guilt (and that's from a person who lives with guilt over a lot of things because i hate to let people down). i blog even less now because we have limited internet and i can't eat up all of our downloads with blogging. so life kind of forced balance on me. i hope you can find it.

M.J. Fifield said...

I'm occasionally a bad blogger, a very bad blogger, but, like you said, sometimes something's got to give, and when that happens to me, it's always my blog that pays the price.

As for balance, I just try to do what I can when I can.

Andrea Franco-Cook said...

Here from Alex's blog.

I can sooooo relate to your post. In fact yours was the same topic I blogged about in last month's ISWG. If it's any consolation, that was my last post until today's update. I've been so busy trying to complete my novel that I've hardly had time for anything else. Something's gotta give and unfortunately, my book takes precedence. After three and a half years of writing it, I am ready to finish (I think).(: Anywho, don't feel bad, you're not alone.

BTW, enjoyed your post and really like your blog. Am now a follower.

Carrie-Anne said...

I'm not always so up to speed in visiting other blogs either, since I have my own writing, schoolwork, and reading a lot of books for my Children's Lit class this semester. There are also always lots of holidays and community events to take up my time. Your devoted regulars will probably understand.

Linda King said...

Ditto! I'm a bad blogger too! I can't keep up with reading blogs and commenting because if I did I wouldn't have any time left to write! I think we all feel the same way from time to time - especially those of us who have day-jobs. I would LOVE to write full-time (and go out to lunch a lot, of course!)

Rena said...

I absolutely feel this way all the time. What I can say is that Alex's advice is spot on. That is the best advice I can give anyone, and he already said it.

Suzanne Furness said...

Do what you can when you can, and don't feel guilty most people more than understand. Blogging takes up soo much time but I do enjoy it.

Jenny S. Morris said...

I so get you! I think A LOT of people feel this way. But I think just posting and visiting as you can is the best you can do. ;)

Jessica Salyer said...

Carrie-Anne- Thanks. I know life gets in the way of all the things we want to do sometimes.

Linda-Thanks. It's nice to know there are other bad bloggers out there too. :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, blogging is a big time suck. And it's okay to take a break or cut back during productive writing times. Just come back after your little break and be a friend. The important thing is not to disappear. So just come back and be a friend. You're not bad and we all understand. I'm thinking of cutting back to get more done too.

Sarah Chafin said...

I am often a bad blogger. I did the a-z challenge and I loved it but it used up most of my writing time. When I'm feeling guilty about writing and not blogging I remind myself that my dream is to write books, not to have an awesome blog. Of course, an awesome blog would be nice too but it helps me keep it in perspective. Simply Sarah

Gina Gao said...

I can totally understand what you mean in this post! Thanks for sharing.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Lynda R Young said...

You can't be a writer if you don't write. It's all about priorities. Some people have more time available for blogging so you shouldn't feel bad. As long as you're writing, that's the important thing.

Jessica Salyer said...

Sarah- I did A to Z last year and just couldn't swing it this year. Maybe next year. I try to remind myself that too.