Monday, March 11, 2013

Critique Partners- What to Expect


One of the most important thing to becoming a good writer, I think, is being part of a critique group.

Being part of a CG makes you a better writer in a few different ways.

  • It gets you reading other people's writing and analyzing it. 
  • You start to look at the bigger picture.
  • Gives you input on your writing.
  • It shows you where your story/writing may be weak.

When you start a CG you should set down ground rules.

  • How often will you exchange work? When it's finished? Chapter by chapter? Some other arrangement?
  • Time-How long will you take to critique?
  • What kind of critique will you give? Line by line? Overall?
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses? (I am horrible at grammar- I let my CP's know that up front.)
  • Honesty—honest feedback is important, but it's important to be nice about it too.

Looking for a Critique Partner or a beta reader? Look no farther!

The girls over at Falling For Fiction are hooking you up. With a CP or Beta that is. Now through the 20th go here and fill out the questionnaire. E-mail it to the lovely ladies at FFF and they will set you up. It's that easy.

Do you have a CP group? Did you set ground rules? Are you going to participate in The Matchelor.


Photobucket

10 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Critique groups are vital. I have a fantastic CP that helps me so much and I'm in the process of setting up another larger group too.

Suzi said...

I've never worked with anybody as I'm writing the story, sending chapters back and forth. Since I totally write out of order, that wouldn't work. So usually, I just find betas when I'm done with the rough draft.

The first story I queried had a couple non-writer readers, but that was it. I wish I would've known writers then cause it really sucked, but I'll get back to it someday now that I know a little more what I'm doing.

ilima said...

My CP group and I met at a writers conference and they've changed my life. They are my best friends, writing cheerleaders, and are all amazing writers. I couldn't write without them, for sure!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My critique partners are awesome! And full of snark.

Nicole said...

Great advice! I am so lucky to have amazing crit partners.

Kelley Lynn said...

Great post lady! Thanks for the shout out.

I agree with all the above :)

David P. King said...

Finding the right CP can make all the difference. Thanks for posting about this. I'll have to check it out. :)

nutschell said...

Critique Groups are soo essential. I think every writer who wishes to get published should have one.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Pat Hatt said...

Critque groups can be grand but the cat seems to run from them for some reason haha

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I am in a CP group. I don't think I could do this without one. We have guidelines about how many pages to send, when they have to be sent etc. Yes, I'm participating in the Matchelor. Thanks for hosting it.