Monday, January 28, 2013

Re-Introduce Myself Blogfest

Today I'm participating in the Re-Introduce Myself Blogfest. It's being hosted by  Elise Fallson, Mark Koopmans, Stephen Tremps, and C.M. Brown. The purpose is to reintroduce yourself to people. Sorry this is late I tried to get it out earlier, but had technical difficulties.

So, here goes. Hi! I'm Jessica Salyer. About a year and a half ago I decided to go after a life long dream and write a book. It was mainly because a story kept playing over and over in my head and wouldn't stop, so I decided to write it down before I went insane. A year later I had written my book AWAKENED, which I'm working on editing now. For NaNo this year, I wrote a YA contemporary-spin-on-a-fairytale with my CP, the amazingly talented Kelley Lynn. That book is in the final stages of editing also. I just started a new book which is completely different than my other two, it's more NA.

When I'm not writing, I'm a wife to my own personal hero and a mother to three wonderful children. My day job is a nurse and I've been one for about twelve years. I'm an  avid reader and consume books like they're chocolate. And now that I can read on my iPhone, my phone is permanently attached to my hand—just ask my husband.

I started blogging a little over a year ago to document my journey and to network. I've been amazed by the people I've met and the things that I've learned from them. If you would have asked me a year ago if I would be where I am now, editing two books, about to start querying both of them and starting another project, I wouldn't have believed you. The most wonderful change for me though is my confidence. If you asked me a year ago if I was a writer my answer probably would have been no or a very shy yes, now I have no problem... I am a writer.

Learn anything new about me? What's one thing I don't know about you?
Photobucket


23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're a nurse? Wow. That on top of kids and writing is impressive.

Cynthia said...

I'm glad to hear you've come so far in your writing journey. It's great that NaNo was such a productive experience for you.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Wow! You've been productive. I loved learning more about you, including that you're a nurse and your writing projects.

Livia Peterson said...

Wow, you're one busy woman! I don't know how you do it! It's been fun learning more about you, Jessica! And keep on writing - I'll be cheering you on and read your books! :)

Chuck said...

Great post Jess, I sadly have been reading your site but not often commenting and I apologize for that...it is one of my resolutions this. That is fantastic you have accomplished so much in such a short period of time. Congrats!

Jessica Salyer said...

Livia- Thanks! Unfortunately I feel like my blog has been slacking. I'm trying though and I can use all the cheering I can get. :)

ilima said...

I remember the moment I wasn't afraid to admit it...I am a writer. Congrats on all your books. Especially your Nano. ;)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Your reintroduction has coloured me impressed. Quite a bit of accomplishments.

T. Drecker said...

I'm impressed! A nurse, mom and writing... and on top of it, you admit you're a writer. Good luck with editing and querying! Nice to meet you. :)

Elise Fallson said...

I knew you had kids, but I didn't know you had three! Wow, I know two can be crazy, but three, this is proof you have superpowers. (;

C.M.Brown said...

Thanks for taking part in the Blogfest! It is nice to catch up with you again! Will try to visit more often, but time is limiting!

Suzi said...

I didn't start writing that long ago either. Although now it's 3 years. Wow, time has passed.

I have a middle grade novel I started writing probably 15 years ago, but it got put aside. I didn't even know a thing about writing. I don't know if I'd ever go back to it, too engrained in YA.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Nice to re-meet you. :) I read about your fairy tale book on Kelley's blog and I think it sounds amazing! Good luck with it. :)

Jenny S. Morris said...

I love learning more about people. And my phone is permanently attached to my hand too. ;)

Kelley Lynn said...

Hmmm... one thing you don't know about me? I think you're amazing.

oh wait, you knew that ;)

And yes, you are a writer!!! :)

Nick Wilford said...

You've come a very long way in a year! I imagine nursing is a very intensive job so I'm impressed you juggle everything so well.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

All I can say is: where do you find the time to balance all of this???? :)

Christine Rains said...

Hi, it's wonderful to meet you. I admire anyone that is not only a parent but works as well yet still finds time to write.

Nicole said...

Very fun to learn more about you! I'm glad you can now proudly say you're a writer. :)

Tia Bach said...

Great to re-meet you, Jessica. ;-) Can't wait to read the books once editing is done. Such a fun blogfest!

Mark Noce said...

Very cool:) Sounds like you've gotten some great use out of your NanoWrites:)

DL Hammons said...

You know...when I clicked your name on the Linky List I only got a notification of a dead link. I had to come to my Google Reader to find this. Hmmmmmmm. You haven't changed your blog address lately, have you?

Anyway...YES...I know you! Pretty well as a matter-of-fact. It's so awesome to see how far you've come!

Jess Schira said...

Wow! That's alot of writing projects you've got going. I'm jealous of how much you've managed to accomplish. I'm still editing my 2009 NaNo project.

It's very nice to meet you.