Wednesday, January 2, 2013

IWSG:Roller Coaster Ride

Happy New Year! Hope you all had a very safe and happy new year! And Happy Birthday to my Daughter who's 10 today! (I love you sweetie!)

This is my post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. It's a group thought up by the ninja himself, Alex J. Cavanaugh. The group posts the first Wednesday of every month and is a wonderful way to support and get encouragement from and for your fellow writers. If you would like to join the group or see the other blogs that participate in it go HERE.


If you've read any of my past IWSG posts before, you know I have a tendency to ride a roller coaster. Somedays I feel good, great even and somedays not so great. There are days when I can say without hesitation 'I'm a writer' and there are days I can't even whisper it. There are days when I sit down with my laptop and my fingers can't move quick enough across the keys and then there are ones where I sit and stare at the blinking curse.
Photo Credit

I'm on a high right now. I just got done with NaNo, which I did a collaboration with the super talented Kelley Lynn. It's an amazing book that I'm in love with. It took us 36 days to write 54,000 words. Two weeks to do our first round of edits and after those edits we had just over 60,000 words. Comparatively, my first book took me a year to write the same amount of words and I'm not even done editing it yet.

What this taught me though is how I can write when I really put my mind to it. When I really work at it. When I really try. And it also made me not so afraid of edits. In fact it made me super excited to hop back into edits for AWAKENED and get it done.

So, while I don't make resolutions for the New Year, I decided to make some goals for 2013.

  • Finish AWAKENED and PRINCESS AND THE THIEF
  • Query AWAKENED and PRINCESS AND THE THIEF
  • Write and query PTT
  • Try to be more active on my blog, I've been a little slacking lately.
  • Go to a conference (Which I am in May the LDStorymakers!)

How have you been feeling lately? Did you do NaNo? Have goals or resolutions for the New Year? Do anything fun for the New Year?



  Photobucket

25 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

I do the roller coaster thing too. I love those highs so I'm so glad you're starting the New Year off on one.

I've been on a low lately but I'm also optimistic that I'm working my way back up.

Best of luck to you in 2013!

Cynthia said...

Happy New Year, and hello from IWSG. I know about roller coasters- I think all creative types do. Yes, I did NaNo and still need to finish my story. Good luck with your goals!

Suzanne Furness said...

Life's a roller coaster! Definitely, here's to many more highs in 2013. Good luck with your goals too :)

Mel Chesley said...

Nope. No resolutions. Goals will work better, I think. Just the one to finish the next book in my series and then decide what to do from there. :)

Miranda Hardy said...

I feel the same way...on a roller coaster of emotions. Some days are great, while other days I'm so down on my abilities.

Hope 2013 is fabulous for you!

Patsy said...

Happy New Year!

And happy birthday to your daughter.

Rena said...

I totally did the roller coaster thing. I did NaNo, and it was one of the best experiences. I think your goals for 2013 are great. They look a lot like mine, so I'll see you in the query trenches!

Tonja said...

Good luck with all of your goals.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad the collaboration inspired you! Now you know you can do it - time to get it done.

tomorrownewsnetwork.com said...

My goal in 2012 was to write and publish ten short stories on my website, and I pulled that off somehow. My goal for 2013 is to do that again. Maybe try not to leave so many stories to the last minute.

Have a happy new year. I love the title "Princess and the Thief," by the way. I'd probably read that.

-JS Pailly

Val Fox said...

Congrats on your NaNo achievement. I never though of working with someone on such a project; you've given me something to consider for this year. It's comforting to read that others have cycles of on/off days. glad I stopped by. Thank you. -valfoxwrites

Ciara said...

Sounds like you are rocking it! Happy New Year! Keep going.

celeste holloway said...

This post makes me want to NANO, but thus far, I never have. Sounds like 2013 will be a busy year for you! I look forward to reading more of your posts! :)

Barbara Watson said...

I'm a general goal-setter too, rather a resolution maker. Great list of goals for yourself! All the best in 2013!

Jessica Salyer said...

Cynthia- Good luck on finishing you're story.

Mel- Good luck on finishing your series.

Patsy- Happy New Year! My Daughter had a great b-day. Thanks.

JS- Wow writing and publishing ten short stories. That's great! Good luck on doing it again. Glad you like the title. :)

Val- It was a great experience. I highly recommend it. Thanks for stopping by. :)

Ciara- Thanks!

Celeste- I'll definitely do NaNo again and would recommend it. Thanks.

Annalisa Crawford said...

NaNo also made me realise I can write faster than I thought I could. Good luck with your goals for this year!

Tara Tyler said...

sounds like a great year coming up for you!

Kelley Lynn said...

I like the title too ;) haha

So glad you said 'yes!' to doing a collab! Can't wait to see what the betas say :)

Elise Fallson said...

I totally understand how you feel about the roller coaster ride. I feel like every other month I'm either riding high, or stuck at the bottom. But right now it sounds like you are on fire and I love seeing you so excited and motivated, it's addictive! It also sounds like this is going to be a great year for you! YEAH!! I'm also glad you are back to editing Awakened, which reminds me, I need to email you about that... ===> (:

Christine Rains said...

My roller coaster has twists and loops and dark tunnels. I never want to get off! Great goals for the year. Good luck! I did NaNo and beat the challenge, but I still have yet to find time to go back and finish the novel itself.

Nicole said...

It's great that you're so excited and energized going into the New Year! Best of luck!

Morgan said...

Love your goals, Jessica! All spot on. 2013 is going to be a great year. :D

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I think we all do the roller coaster thing. It comes from working alone.

Happy birthday to your girl. Mine turned 12 last week.

Misha Gericke said...

I think all writers are on roller coasters. I have a lot of drafts to rewrite and one project to query.

:-)

DL Hammons said...

Isn't it funny how you can hit the high points and low points of that roller coaster all in the same day? :)

Right now I'm on an even keel...which is a good thing.

2013 is going to be a great year for you. Hold me to that!! :)