Thursday, January 10, 2013

I'm Drowning—A Poem

A friend of mine is having a really hard time right now. We've all been there. I wrote this poem for her.

I'm Drowning

I'm flailing, sinking, barely staying afloat.
The vortex is sucking, twisting, capsizing my boat.
Blackness consuming, threatening to block out the light.
It's crushing, suffocation, stealing my might.
They keep piling on, things I can't control.
Trying, fighting to steal my soul.
I hang on to the thread that keeps me here.
And rage against the darkness that holds my fear.
One step at a time toward the light I go.
Pushing, pulling, slowly I know.
After the darkness the light is so bright.
I will no longer be, afraid of the night.



Photobucket

11 comments:

ilima said...

Beautiful.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is really good! Hope it makes her feel better.

Kelley Lynn said...

Goosebumps! WOW!

Nick Wilford said...

Beautiful! I like how it starts off so dark and then you see the light coming in. I hope it helps your friend.

DL Hammons said...

Whoa...you never said you wrote poetry. That was really touching! Kudo's!!

Livia Peterson said...

Beautiful poem, Jessica! Love it!

Brooke R. Busse said...

You are really good at rhyming. It doesn't feel forced at all. :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

Very evocative!

Arthur Bernardo said...

wow...lovely...

I think you're about to realize the dream..., this poem is beautiful, congratulations ... :D

greetings from Portugal

Arthur B

Elise Fallson said...

That was so beautiful written! I really hope your friend is feeling better.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

This was so captivating. Great job and I wish your friend all the best.