Wednesday, October 24, 2012

SCBWI Conference

This weekend I attended the SCBWI Fall Writer's Conference/Retreat. This was my first ever writer's conference. I had an amazing time.

Kelley Lynn and me
Not only did I learn a ton, but it was nice to just be a 'writer' all weekend. To talk about my passion. To learn more about it. To be with others that were in the same boat as I am. To talk to published authors and hear them talk about how they even have doubts and feel like I do some days.

We had some great talks. Author, Kathi Appelt gave a great talk about understanding your character. She gave us ways to look at our characters and exercises to do to get to know your character better.
YA author, Sarah Zarr gave a wonderful talk about emotional pacing and the emotions of your characters. And Marcia Hoehne gave a fantastic workshop on how to get more ideas and if you have a lot of them, how to decide which one you should write. They were all very informative and I learned so much.

Sarah Zarr and me

I also had the wonderful opportunity to get my first chapter critiqued by Sarah Zarr. She gave me a fantastic critique with a ton of great advise. Which will lead me to some major rewrites, but in the end it will better my story.

It was a great time. If you've never been to a conference I would definitely suggest going to one. This one was perfect. It wasn't to big, so not over whelming. And not to small that it wasn't informative enough.
Fellow writers


On a side note...Friday I'm  being spotlighted by the lovely ladies over at Falling For Fiction. So, If you want to find out more about me, head over there Friday.


 Photobucket

8 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

That is just so awesome. I would so love to go to a writer's conference if I could. Sucks living so far away sometimes. But glad you had a great time and got the chance to learn and talk to other writers. (:

Cassie Mae said...

Oh how fun! I want to be a 'writer' for a whole weekend, lol.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you had a good time - and it was productive for your work!

Morgan said...

I'm a SCBWI addict... gosh, I've been to 3 conferences in the last year, LOL... and deciding which one to do next! I love them. And it looks like you had a fabulous time! Too fun, Jessica! And cool that you got to meet up with Kelley! :)

Rena said...

That looks like so much fun! I can't wait to go to my first SCBWI conference! And isn't it so much fun to just talk to other writers!!!

Kelley Lynn said...

We had an awesome time, didn't we? Gosh, there are no words to describe how bad I want to go back. It was such a great retreat. To be a writer for the whole weekend. AND to hang out with you! :)

Can't wait till the next one!

Leslie S. Rose said...

I've never left an SCBWI event without getting energized big time. They rock.

Rachel Pattinson said...

Glad you had a good time! It sounds amazing! I would love to go to a writer's conference/retreat, but I'm not too sure how popular they are here in the UK! I may have to look them up!