Monday, September 3, 2012

GUTGAA Meet and Greet

This is the first week of GUTGAA- Gearing Up To Get an Agent. It's a month long blogfest hosted by Deana Barnhart. If you'd like to know more about it or see who else is participating please go to Deana's blog. For the first week we are doing a meet and greet. Where we get to know a little about each other. Thank you so much, Deana for hosting this great blogfest!



A little about me... I'm married and have three kids. When I'm not writing, I work as a nurse. I've been writing/blogging for about a year now, so still pretty new. I just finished my first YA novel and am working on the edits while trying to get my query letter just perfect.


Questions for the Meet and Greet 
  •  Where do you write?      I write just about anywhere. Have laptop will write. I don't have a work space per se. My favorite spots to write are my chair in my living room and my back porch.
  •  Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?      There's an end table next to my chair.
  •  Favorite time to write?       At night after the kids go to bed. It's quiet and I can concentrate.
  •  Drink of choice while writing?      Water or if I have a particularly long day I may have a glass of wine. Which can sometimes get me into trouble.
  •  When writing, do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?      It depends on my mood. I have a writing play list that I listen to, but sometimes I need quiet.
  •  What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?      I was lying in bed one night and started to daydream. I wanted my remote, but didn't want to get out of bed. It spiraled from there.
  •  What's your most valuable writing tip?      Don't let anyone tell you, you can't. If it truly is your passion go after it. The only thing stopping you is you. Write, write and write. The more you write the better and easier it gets.

Well, there's my answers. What about you? Are you participating in GUTGAA? Have any of the same answers? Hope you have a great week!


  Photobucket


24 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

One glass of wine and I stop making sense!

Jadzia Brandli said...

I love that you write on the back porch. I sometimes write on the front porch. Your tip is great too! Great to learn more about you. This GUTGAA meet and greet is really fun.

Barbara Watson said...

"Don't let anyone tell you, you can't." Love that!

And I wish I could write on my back porch! It's too sunny in the summer and I can't see my screen...and in the winter it's too chilly.

meredithmansfield said...

Hi from another GUTGAA participant.

Don't all the best story ideas come from daydreams? :)

Alleged Author said...

Yay for wine! As long as you have a small glass I bet you can behave yourself. :) I'm your newest follower! *waves* Very nice to meet you.

AA
http://anallegedauthor.blogspot.com/

Natalie Aguirre said...

Love the writing advice. Good luck with GUTGAA.

Cynthia said...

Saying hello from GUTGAA... I also did A to Z in the Spring- I guess we missed each other. Like you, I also like to write at night when the kids are asleep. Look forward to reading more from you.

Kelley Harvey said...

So glad you posted your Meet & Greet! I feel like I know my CP so much better now! Have fun at GUTGAA!

Kelley Lynn said...

Hello my dear!

LOVE your advice. And I'm so proud of you. I can't wait till your work touches more people. :)

M.J. Fifield said...

I love to write out on my back deck but the bugs have been so bad this summer that it's been impossible.

Excellent writing advice. Definitely something we all need to remember.

Kyra Lennon said...

Excellent writing advice, Jessica! :D

Jeanmarie Anaya said...

So nice to meet you, Jessica!

Your blog is GORGEOUS and so organized. Sometimes I look at mine and think it's such a wreck! LOL

Best of luck with GUTGAA!

Stephsco said...

Great word of wisdom about the only thing stopping us is US. I had a similar experience where I realized my dream to write a book wouldn't happen unless I WROTE A BOOK. My father-in-law put together some stories for an inspirational memoir, and that really motivated me. If he can put himself out there, so can I.

Here's my GUTGAA Meet & Greet post: A Girl and her Diary

Nicole said...

Hi Jessica! Great answers. It's nice to *meet* you as part of GUTGAA.

Tara Tyler said...

needed the remote? what could your story be about?

Barbara Price Galvan said...

Your advice is great and I like your blog. I am new at blogging and looking for ways to keep doing it every couple days.

Jeannette said...

Hello and nice to meet you! What genre YA is your work? I'm always interested in what people are writing. Good luck with GUTGAA!

Jessica Salyer said...

Meredith- All mine do. :)

Cynthia- Sorry I miss you during the A to Z.

Kelley- Thanks!

Nicole- Thanks!

Tara- I wanted the remote while in bed, but didn't want to get it. ;)

Barbara-Thanks and welcome to blogging. It's a great community.

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

Writing is not for wimps. You have to write like you mean it, and not let anyone tell you you can't.
Thanks for the pep talk and sharing some insight inot what makes you tick.

Virginia Boecker said...

Hi Jessica! I can kind of work anywhere too - have laptop, will travel. I've actually worked in my car before, though I don't recommend it. :) Nice to meet you!

Angie Sandro said...

It's neat the way ideas can come from some of the craziest daydreams. Good luck with GUTGAA. Stop by and say hello if you haven't already. http://anjeasandro.blogspot.com/

Live Love Write said...

Hi Jessica! I'm just like you; working mom of three kids (although they are grown), working on perfecting my query letter, editing my MS until I'm blue in the face. I definitely have my ups and downs and huge insecurities. I guess it goes with the territory!

Best of luck with GUTGAA and hope to get to know you as you follow your dream and I follow mine!
Sue

Suzi said...

I like sitting outside too to write, not that it's cooling off a bit. Sometimes I sit on our front steps. The concrete isn't that comfy, but I can keep my eye on the kids from there.

Jessica Salyer said...

Love- We have lots in common. :) Good luck to you too!

Angie- I get a lot of mine from dreams. :)