Wednesday, August 1, 2012

IWSG: New Insecurities

This is my entry for the Insecure Writer's Support group. Is a wonderful supportive group started by Alex J. Cavanaugh. If you'd like to find out more about it or see who else is participating please go HERE.


 I have some great news!! A drum roll please... I finished the first draft of my novel. I actually did it and within my self imposed deadline.

Photo Credit

 So now I'm on to the edits, which come with a whole slew of new insecurities. I no longer believe that I can't write a novel or even that I'm not a writer. I think I've proved that to myself. No, now I wonder is it any good? Are people going to want to read it? As I begin my edits I think, is it a good enough story to go anywhere? Even though I've always said I'm doing this for me, and I am, I would like people to take enjoyment from it.

But for now I'm still mostly basking in the glow of finishing and the new smell of edits, which I'm sure will get old fast.

Do these insecurities plague you? How do you deal with them?

Also, if you aren't aware DL Hammons over at Cruising altitude 2.0 is hoisting his second round of WRiTE CLuB. If you haven't checked it out yet, you definitely should!


And a very HAPPY CONGRATULATIONS to my wonderful CP Kelley Lynn who just got signed by Sapphire Star Publishing. I couldn't be happier for her. So, if you want to run over and hear her story or just tell her congrats go HERE.


Photobucket

15 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

I don't think those insecurities ever fully go away, and that's good, because it means you will keep on striving to be the best you can be. I have no doubt that people will want to read your words!

Elise Fallson said...

I have the same insecurities. We all worry about our words. But at some point you just have to have a little faith and move forward. You have a great story and your book will reflect it. I love your writing style so keep writing, editing and writing! (: And congrats again on getting the first draft done!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome that you finished. And we can all relate to your worries because we all have them.

Jamie Burch said...

Congratulations, Jessica! It's such an exciting feeling. Yay!

Yep. For every insecurity I conquer there's always a new one waiting. We just have to keep going. :)

J. A. Bennett said...

Edits are so hard, but they are worth the work. Keep your chin up and go forward with the 'I think I can attitude' and you'll find amazing doors opened up to you :)

Julia King said...

I understand your pain. Editing/revising are not my fav. And revising a project over and over again sometimes makes me hate it. Sad, huh? But alas, it is a necessary evil. Thanks for the post, from a fellow IWSG member!

Kathleen said...

Yay!! Congratulations on finishing the first draft! It's a nice feeling, isn't it=)
Editing is difficult, but soooo worth it. Once you get that baby to shine, you'll LOVE the editing process!

Rena said...

Nope, the insecurities never go away. Sometimes, it's a good idea to just acknowledge them. Say "Yes, edits, you frighten me, and I worry that I'm not good enough. But I have work to do, so could we wrap this up and get on with it?"

I wish I could be that nonchalant in the real world. Some days that works for me. Some days, I have to just pick myself up by the bootstraps and make myself go through it. What I can say is that it's worth it. If you can muster the courage and do it, it's always worth it.

Good luck.

M.J. Fifield said...

Hey, congratulations on finishing your draft! That's terrific news. Definitely cause to celebrate.

And yeah, those insecurities plague me. Sometimes, they get the best of me but other times, I stuck my fingers (metaphorically, of course) in my ears and yell "I'm not listening!"

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you're done with the first draft and attacking edits! I always think "Crap, can I make this all come together now?"
Your story will rock - just keep telling yourself that.

Kelley Lynn said...

From someone who's read the whole thing I can say without a doubt that people will love this story. You are a fantastic writer and I can't wait for you to start sharing it with more people. (And I'd love to get my hands on it again :))

Congrats Jess!!!! We have to have a drink for BOTH of us!

Ella said...

Congrats so exciting! Yes celebrate and then get back at it :D
Nice to meet you and good luck!

Ink in the Book said...

It's always exciting to finish the first draft!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yes, I am still looking for a CP!
My email is
inkinthebook@gmail.com
My name is Talynn.
Please email me and we can chat and swap info:)

Jadzia Brandli said...

I agree, the insecurities will always be there. I'm on the third draft of my YA novel and things are pretty tough right now. I'm struggling with making my MC come across right, as well as making a relationship that develops between her and another character believable. But I think you just have to believe that you can do it. Or else you won't get anywhere. :)

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Congratulations on completing your first manuscript draft. Editing will be another step.

It's wonderful that you've gotten over that insecurity and can say that you can do it.