Wednesday, June 6, 2012

IWSG #9- Delusional

It's time for my monthly contribution to the Insecure Writer's support group. It's a group started by Alex J. Cavanaugh, so that writers can support each other and not feel so alone with all our writer's insecurities. If you'd like to learn more about this group or see the other blogs that are participating please go HERE.       Side note...this is my 75th blog post. Woo hoo. :)


I've written more in the past two weeks than I have in the past two months. Good thing, I know, but I realized I'm half way done with my WIP. What's wrong with that you ask? Well, I have been about half way for the past four months. Needless to say, I haven't been writing much. The less I write the more my insecurities increase.

What do you think you're doing? You're a fake, pretending to be a writer? You think you'll actually finish a book? ...That's who I like to call Ms. Naysayer by the way. She's a constant in my head. Telling me all the little insecure comments, I can't handle.

Then I read back some chapters I wrote and think, huh, this isn't half bad. What are you delusional? This is crap. No one will ever read this s**t. ...annnnd she's back.

So, what's an insecure writer to do? Keep writing I guess. I gave myself a deadline. (so, if any of you feel like stopping by and yelling at me to "Get writing" feel free.) Keeping my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Oh, and if any of you murder mystery writer have a good way of killing someone off... Ms. Naysayer's got to go.

I hope you're all doing well. Do you have your very own Ms. Naysayer? Think your writing's good or are we just all delusional?


Photobucket

17 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

Yes, I do have my own Ms. Naysayer living in my head. She usually pops up any time I deign to have any confidence in my writing.

I do not enjoy her.

Annalisa Crawford said...

When she starts being negative, talk over her. The best way to get rid of the voices is your head is to talk out loud! Honestly, it works :-)

Elise Fallson said...

Ms. Naysayer is a malignancy in my brain. When she gets too loud, I change the music. Literally. I'll put on something really upbeat and really loud. Also, keep writing! (:

Kyra Lennon said...

Like Annalisa, I often tell my inner critic to go away by talking out loud. Mostly, she listens. :D

Natalie Aguirre said...

I have the same person talking in my head. And I'm writing slow too. Only about 40 pages in the last two months and some rewrites of them. But I agree with you, just keep writing and it'll get done. Awesome you're at the halfway mark. I have awhile to get to that.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I put duct tape over my Ms. Naysayer's mouth a long time ago. And since she sucks at charades, things are good. :)

Rena said...

Yeah, I have that evil pain the 455 in my head too. I try to remind her that first drafts are meant to be craptastic. Second drafts too. Third drafts start to have some form, so that's when I get out the baseball bat and introduce Ms. Naysayer to my cousin Guido...

Cassie Mae said...

She's bugging you too? Yikes! Let's conquer her together!

And um... GET WRITING! ;)

Krista McLaughlin said...

I say you tie her up in a closet and gag her. You can do it! Just keep writing and pushing forward.

Would death by flies be appropriate? I've killed a sim that way in the Sims 2.

Lauren said...

I'm with Krista. Put her in the closet!

Although every time I try to stuff my Ms. Naysayer in the closet she barges out again. ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Time for a smackdown!
You're writing now. That's what matters.

Karen Walker said...

I think we all have the same voice inside our heads. Oy!
Karen

Kelley Lynn said...

Oh man. I have Ms. Naysayer's sister. We can talk all about them tomorrow :)

Jamie Burch said...

It's something I struggle with, too! Just when I'm feeling really good about my WIP she's there to know me down. So I just keep going and then feel confident again.

It's a crazy cycle, but we'll get through it. Good luck with your goals!

DL Hammons said...

That's the same conversation that goes on in all of our heads! You just have to push through it to the end. If you do nothing else, you must finish the book! :)

Jay Noel said...

Wow. This post really spoke to me. I haven't written one new word in a month. My job is really taking a lot of my time/energy right now, and all of these fears have been creeping up on me.

Jessica Salyer said...

Krista- Death by flies sounds great. lol
Karen- probably. :)