Wednesday, May 2, 2012

IWSG#8- Stress is Food

This is my monthly post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group, the amazing brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. It's a group where writers get to support each other and talk about their writer insecurities. You can go HERE to find Alex's blog and the other blogs participating.

For anyone who lives these days, stress is a part of life. You can't avoid it, it's everywhere. For those of you who tackled the A to Z challenge last month, added even more.

If you've been following my blog for a while you know that a lot of my ISWG posts are about stress and lack of time. I'm busy. Who isn't. I'm not going to sit here and bore you with all of the things in my life that make me busy. You have a life, I'm sure you can guess.

It's a constant struggle for me to balance everything. Time management has become crucial and I have become lazy. I have completely tanked in the past month. I feel bad about it. My husband has been wonderful and picked up my slack, but I'm thoroughly shamed. I didn't write much on my WIP, I did do the A to Z challenge (but I had done most of it previously. I just had to go in each night and update it.), I didn't get my critiques done, my house work suffered, and I just didn't do much of anything. Why? Stress.
Photo credit

 I was overly stressed and shut down. I felt like a complete failure and Mrs. Naysayer was back in full force. I curled up in a little ball inside myself and didn't want to step outside. So, what happened? Vacation.

One wonderful week in sunny Florida. One beautiful week with my family. No blog. No Internet. No WIP. No stress. I recharged. I saw the magic in my kids eyes when he saw Pluto for the first time. I saw the orange seared sun drop into the crystal blue gulf. I fed on the sun and the powdered sand beneath my feet. My heart swelled with the sight of my children riding the waves and I fed off of every smile and laugh.

I am recharged. So, stress bring it on, because I'm ready now.

How do you recharge? Do you feed off of stress or does it get to you?

Photobucket

21 comments:

Dawn Malone said...

I need quiet time when I get stressed. Some things I do when I feel like this are take the dog for a good, long walk, read outside, hang out in the bookstore for an hour.
Glad to hear you were able to recharge and clear your mind. Florida is good for that!

Kyra Lennon said...

Ah, I handle stress the same way. I shut right down. I find a few days away will get me back on track though!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you took that time off! (And DL did a good job keeping up with your blog.)
This weekend I am taking some de-stress time.

M.J. Fifield said...

Oh, stress totally gets to me and I do the shutting down thing. Sounds like I could use a trip to sunny Florida.

Hope Roberson said...

That sounds like a wonderful way to recharge! So glad you got to go :)

Jessica Salyer said...

Dawn- Sounds like some great de-stressing ideas. Florida was wonderful.

Patsy said...

Lack of time to do all I want is my biggest cause of stress and I know it can become a vicious circle. We get so worked up about what we haven't done and what we need to do that we don't concentrate on or enjoy the things we do manage to fit in. Glad you managed to break that pattern.

Luckily I've just had a destressing holiday myself, but when I can't do that I try to do something physical, such as working in the garden, so both my mind and body feel I've achieved something positive.

Jackie said...

I let stress get the best of me, too. And I'm not one who hides my feelings, so what people see is what they get. Which can be downright scary! LOL

To recharge, I like to read, go for lonnnnng walks, and eat chocolate. Not all at the same time. :D

I'm visiting from the IWSG. Nice to meet you!

Susan Oloier said...

I'm so glad you recharged.

It depends on what kind of stress I have as to whether it gets to me or not. I had healthy issues at the start of the year, which completely took over my life. But day-to-day stress usually does not overwhelm me...too much.

Elise Fallson said...

I'm most efficient when operating under stress. Problem is eventually, I crash. Then, I'm not so efficient. lol The only way for me to recharge is to sleep. A lot. And that's what I'm trying to do while on break. It would be nice to get back home next week and hit the ground running. (:

Jessica Salyer said...

Patsy- I have been getting caught up in what I have to do yet. It is a vicious circle. I'm glad you have ways to destress.

Jessica Salyer said...

Jackie- nice to meet you also. Thanks for coming by. It might be a little hard to eat chocolate while reading and going for a long walk. LOL.

Jessica Salyer said...

Susan- Me too, I needed it. I'm sorry to hear you had health issues. I hope your doing better.

Christine Rains said...

That's awesome you got a nice vacation to recharge. I had a trip and was away from the computer last month, but it was a highly stressful trip since my toddler hates to travel and can't sleep well away from home. I need a vacation to rest up from my trip!

Allison said...

I like to do a day or two of nothing that takes brain power to recharge... read, watch tv, etc. It is great that you feel rejuvenated!

Allison (Geek Banter)

Morgan said...

Ohhhh... I'm SO glad you've rejuvenated! It's so necessary... and everything else in your life is going to be better because of it--even the writing. And you were amazing in the A-Z challenge! Yours was one of my favs! :D

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a great way to recharge!! Stress is really debilitating - it's so hard to find that balance - but we have to keep trying :)

Tracy Jo said...

Love this post! I am the exact same way...when things get too much, I shut down. So frustrating. So awesome that vacation helped! I have been trying to explain this to my guy and something I need to practice more - even taking small breaks throughout the day, seem to help me to be more productive and not burn out. Your trip sounds like it was perfect. :-) Have a wonderful weekend!

Laura Marcella said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful time on vacation, Jessica! It sounds like it was the perfect boost of energy and optimism you needed. Sunshine, warmth, and laughter does that for me, too!

Cine club UAEM said...

hello you tell me who is the author of the picture of the cat?

Cine club UAEM said...

hello you tell me who is the author of the picture of the cat?