Monday, May 14, 2012

First Loves Blogfest




This is my post for the First Loves Blogfest. This blogfest is hosted by none other than the ninja master Alex J. Cavanaugh, you can go HERE to see more about this blogfest and the other blogs participating.  It's all about your first loves – first movie, first song/band, first book, and first person.

 

 My first movie that I fell in love with was probably The Princess Bride. It had a bit of everything- comedy, romance, action, fantasy, and revenge. It made you believe in true love and wish for a dark pirate to come sweep you off your feet. It gave you a new type of princess. And some of the best lines ever... As you wish, Inconceivable, and the one below.



One of my favorite first bands that I fell in love with was Wham! I had the biggest crush on George Michael. What can I say I was maybe ten and it was the 80's.  Can you believe those shorts?


I think when I was about thirteen I read a book called 13 is Too Young to Die by
 


Throughout my sixth grade year I had a boyfriend. (Ah, young puppy love.) We would walk home everyday from school together and went on my first date with him. His mom picked us up and dropped us off at the movie theater. I think the movie was Some Kind of Wonderful. Anyone remember that movie? At the end of my sixth grade year we moved from California. I was devastated. I remember my mom letting us stop by his house before we drove out of town. I remember watching through the back window as he got smaller and smaller, tears streaming down my face. I couldn't understand why we had to move away. Ironically we stayed friends throughout the years and still talk. He's also a writer. (Hi if your reading this, you know who you are. :)




Photobucket


30 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Awww, your first love story is so sad! But it's cool that you stayed friends! :D

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's so amazing that you stayed friends with your first love. Thanks for sharing!

C.M.Brown said...

Staying friends with your first love is amazing! Some very different choices in there!

Suzi said...

I have never seen the Princess Bride. Is that really sad? I've heard so much about it, but just never have.

Miranda Hardy said...

Great picks for your first. Loved that movie, too.

sydneyaaliyah said...

I love Some Kind of Wonderful. Keith, Watts and Amanda Jones - I need to find that movie and watch it again.

Danielle B. said...

Wham! Oh My Gosh what a trip! I had G. Micheal posted up on my wall back in the day.

Stephen Tremp said...

Still love the Princess Bride. Great one-liners throughout. Excellent choice!

Wham ... not so much.

Elise Fallson said...

Princess Bride is one of my favorites too. "My name is Inigo Montoya..." or "Inconceivable!" :D so many great lines in that movie.

Rena said...

Oh man, these are great, it's like a snapshot of my youth!

I'm even working on a princess bride costume right now...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Princess Bride is one of the best movies ever!
Thanks for participating in my blogfest.

Nancy Thompson said...

Okay, I'm embarrassed to admit it but...I loved Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go-go!! I still do. Oh god!

Cassie Mae said...

Aww, it's so sad when our friends move away. Esp. the cute boys. But that's so frickin' awesome you guys are still friends. I wanna know who he is!

HWR Curator said...

wonderful post and favorites... i mean loves.

We all love something...right!
Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Still madly in love with The Princess Bride and watch it all the time. :D

Andrea Teagan said...

Awww, I think its great that you still talk with your first love (puppy love). I also adore Princess Bride. :)

Andrea

Andrea Teagan said...

Also, I really liked the sound of your WIP. I'm not sure if you are interested or not but they are having a JunoWriMO and a Camp NanoWrimo next month. Let me know if you decide to join :)

Allison said...

The Princess Bride--awesome choice!

Allison (Geek Banter)

~Sia McKye~ said...

I see you're running around like me tonight, trying to catch up on blogs I missed being gone most of the day.

I remember the song, Some kind of wonderful.

Princess Bride is fabulous, on so many levels. Love the dry wit in that movie. I also love the blend of serious and light. I like your scene too, "I want my father back you Son of a bitch!" I cheered.

I had to use links for some reason. You tube wouldn't let me embed for some reason--except to facebook, mores the pity.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

michelle said...

That '80's image of George Michael, blow-dryed mane, dazzling smile & those shorty-shorts he wore in the song... who can ever forget?
Still in touch with your first love - unbelievable!

http://writer-in-transit.co.za/first-loves-blogfest/

Jemi Fraser said...

Wham was such a fun band - I have a small keyboard where the sample tune is Wake Me Up Before You Go Girl :)

I hadn't seen the princess Bride until a few months ago - what a fun movie! :)

Rachel Morgan said...

Oh my GOSH those shorts are so SHORT!
It's pretty amazing you're still in touch with your first love from sixth grade!

Tia Bach said...

So sorry I missed participating in this. What fun! Loved yours. I could have just reposted this as mine. ;-)

Jessica Salyer said...

Michelle- Thanks.

Tia- Thanks. Feel free. :)

Morgan Hyde said...

You're the second person in my so far brief perusal of the first loves posts who's listed The Princess Bride as their favourite movie. I take this as totally legit proof that all awesome people should watch the movie and obsess about the dialogue. (perhaps I should admit to wanting to justify having made all my friends watch it... oh well!)

Leslie Rose said...

It's inconceivable that anyone could resist The Princess Bride.

Jessica Salyer said...

Morgan- I know what you mean. That movie has the best lines ever.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I haven't read the book, but I can understand why it has stuck with you. Love The Princess Bride! I remember leaving behind my boyfriend in 6th grade. He was my next door neighbor, so the whole time we were packing up he was sitting out there watching all hangdog. :( Sigh, young love.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, road tripping through the #atozchallenge participants!

Barbara said...

So sorry you had to go through this kind of pain so young. Your Mom was very thoughtful.

Great post!

Sharing the Love!
English Speaking Zone

Annalisa Crawford said...

I love The Princess Bride - I saw it for the first time when I was about 18, when my Hubby-to-be introduced me to it, and then played the theme song on his guitar... :-)