Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is For Palliate

I'm trying really hard to come up with a sentence for palliate, but it's really late and I can't think of one. I hope you have better luck. It looks like this word might be a challenge. I know you can come up with some great sentences.
P-Palliate: 1. To reduce the violence of (a disease); also : to ease (symptoms) without curing the underlying disease. 2. To cover by excuses and apologies. 3. To moderate the intensity of (trying to palliate the boredom).
Photo credit


I had to choose Nick Wilford's sentence; because, we chose the same word for the letter O. I thought it only fitting.  His sentence was:
Always with the fear that some omnipotent being was watching me.

Here's the story:

     The alpha coefficient was too high; the risk too great. Losing my balance, I plummeted to the darkest recesses of the canyon. I had to release my tenuous grip on the briefcase, so I could pull my chute in my panic; it spilled classified papers all over the floor of the ravine when it exploded on impact. Struggling to free myself from the parachute, I cursed the debacle this mission had become. After finally getting the parachute to release me, I started to ponder over the enigma of where I was.
     It seemed odd to think that only thirty hours ago I had been sitting in a Starbucks having coffee. But then that man with the formidable mustache had sat down next to me. He made me an offer and I'd run through the gamut of usual excuses, but to no avail. And actually, I couldn't pull off the hypocrisy of not wanting a million bucks. But I played it casual and said, "How ironic, you of all people would need my help.
     The safety of that coffee shop juxtaposed with the danger I was in now.
     "Ironic? No. You and I are practically kindred spirits and you need the money," he said, placing a briefcase on the table. I had to admit that he was right; and after all, money had been the first real love of my life. Until that monumental moment when I was forced to weigh what was really important. Since that time though, I'd been on the run nonstop. Always with the fear that some omnipotent being was watching me.

Photo credit

If you're new to my blog, thanks for stopping by. If you'd like instructions on what we're doing, please go HERE.


In order to make this challenge work I need your sentences, so please keep stopping by to put in your entries.

18 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Thanks for the follow. Great idea you've got going here! Here's my sentence:
"But I think it's time I palliate this fear and bite the bloody bullet, yeah?"

Em-Musing said...

I don't think I can top Jessica's. Good one Jess!

Jemi Fraser said...

I like Jess' too! :)

Elise Fallson said...

But there was something about him, the way he twisted his mustache, the way he looked into my soul that managed to palliate the turmoil inside me.

(Sorry, but the mustache thing makes me snicker:))

Morgan said...

Loving it! This is SO FUN. :D

Fairview said...

I didn't know this word. Love that I'm learning from your blog! Here's me using it in a sentence:

No matter how many miles I put between myself and the mustache man, I couldn't palliate that fear.

Nick Wilford said...

Thanks! Stumped today. All the ones above are good! :)

jabblog said...

'But maybe an omnipotent being could palliate my obsession with money.'

This story is playing out well.

Gina said...

Palliate is truly a hard one. I'm no good today. I'm amazed at how cohesive the story is, and intriguing! I can't wait to see where it goes. Congrats!

Thanks for stoping by my place.
From Diary of a Writer in Progress

Chris Fries said...

Fabulous A-to-Z blog idea!! I love the story so far.

How about:

It sent me back to that horrible week I and four college friends spent at the cannibal's convention, and the pal I ate as part of the graduation ceremony.

No?

Maybe, instead:

I shrugged and shook off the sensation, letting the sweet smell of crumbled twenties and fifties palliate my ruffled nerves.

Jessica said...

I love this idea!

How about:

"If that being was looking to palliate the monotony of the rest of my life, I'd had enough, thanks."

Jessica
A to Z Blogger & SF/Fantasy Writer @ Visions of Other Worlds

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Use Jessica's!

Richard said...

Interesting concept.

DL Hammons said...

Gosh!!! Are you trying to give us a brain hemorrhage? I like Jessica's also!! :)

Jessica Salyer said...

It was a hard word. Thanks for coming by.

Jessica Salyer said...

"the pal I ate" cute.

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks.

Jessica Salyer said...

Nice. Thanks.