Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is For Monumental


Can you believe it? We're half way done. In case this is your first time stopping by, you can go HERE for an explanation on what we're doing. Everyone else, let's get creative...

This A to Z challenge has been monumental, with almost 2,00 people participating.

M- Monumental: 1. Of or relating to a monument. 2. Serving as or resembling a monument : massive; also : highly significant : outstanding. 3. Very great.

The sentence chosen yesterday is from Nick Wilford and was...

 I had to admit that he was right; and after all, money had been the first real love of my life.

Here's the story so far:

     The alpha coefficient was too high; the risk too great. Losing my balance, I plummeted to the darkest recesses of the canyon. I had to release my tenuous grip on the briefcase, so I could pull my chute in my panic; it spilled classified papers all over the floor of the ravine when it exploded on impact. Struggling to free myself from the parachute, I cursed the debacle this mission had become. After finally getting the parachute to release me, I started to ponder over the enigma of where I was.
      It seemed odd to think that only thirty hours ago I had been sitting in a Starbucks having coffee. But then that man with the formidable mustache had sat down next to me. He made me an offer and I'd run through the gamut of usual excuses, but to no avail. And actually, I couldn't pull off the hypocrisy of not wanting a million bucks. But I played it casual and said, "How ironic, you of all people would need my help.
     The safety of that coffee shop juxtaposed with the danger I was in now. 
     "Ironic? No. You and I are practically kindred spirits and you need the money," he said, placing a briefcase on the table. I had to admit that he was right; and after all, money had been the first real love of my life.

9 comments:

Sabrina said...

Wow, nice writing. Very creative.

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks! Everyone is doing a wonderful job with their sentences.

Tracy Jo said...

The time has come to make the monumental decision, take it and run or continue this life of despair.

Hope your having an awesome weekend!

Nick Wilford said...

Thanks for choosing me! Too tired to do one now haha, 11pm here. Can't wait to see how it all turns out though.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's getting good!

Nancy Stewart said...

This is a terrific post, and your blog is gorgeous. I so enjoyed visiting.

Please take a peek at my blog if you've the time. I'm the award winning author of the Bella and Britt series for kids.

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck said...

New Paragraph: Now I face the monumental task of getting myself out of the canyon AND trying to find the documents needed for my payday.

Thanks for stopping by my site for the A-Z...I am intrigued by your novel approach to the Challenge, so I had to write something!!

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

I don't know which was more of a monumental task, trying to find a way out of this canyon or retreiving the documents before my time ran out to collect the money.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Until that monumental moment when I was forced to weigh what was really important.

I contributed, yay! :D