Thursday, April 12, 2012

K is For Kindred

I think that we are kindred, those who write from the heart.



K- Kindred: (adj)1. Having similar or common qualities, origin, etc. 2. Related by blood or marriage
(n) 1. Relationship by blood. 2. Similarity in character. 3. A person's relatives collectively


The sentence from yesterdays word comes from Brooke R Busse and is:

The safety of that coffee shop juxtaposed with the danger I was in now.

Which brings our story to:

The alpha coefficient was too high; the risk too great. Losing my balance, I plummeted to the darkest recesses of the canyon. I had to release my tenuous grip on the briefcase, so I could pull my chute in my panic; it spilled classified papers all over the floor of the ravine when it exploded on impact. Struggling to free myself from the parachute, I cursed the debacle this mission had become. After finally getting the parachute to release me, I started to ponder over the enigma of where I was.
      It seemed odd to think that only thirty hours ago I had been sitting in a Starbucks having coffee. But then that man with the formidable mustache had sat down next to me. He made me an offer and I'd run through the gamut of usual excuses, but to no avail. And actually, I couldn't pull off the hypocrisy of not wanting a million bucks. But I played it casual and said, "How ironic, you of all people would need my help.
     The safety of that coffee shop juxtaposed with the danger I was in now.

If you're new to my blog, thanks for stopping by. Here's what we are doing... I give you a word, you give me a sentence containing that word to add on to our story. If you'd like more in depth instructions, please go HERE.

In order to make this challenge work I need your sentences, so please stop by tomorrow and put in your entries. Thank you so much for helping me pull this off. This is going amazing. The story has gone where I didn't see coming, and is great, all thanks to you!

11 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

"Ironic? No. You and I are practically kindred spirits and you need the money," he said, placing a briefcase on the table.

Nick Wilford said...

I think Elise did a good job, so I won't try to add anything else!

You're right, this is exciting. I don't know if I could pull it off! I like your word for today. I definitely feel a kinship with other writers, those who are probably slightly unhinged like me!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I knew I would need help from another kindred spirit who was ready for adventure.

Tracy Jo said...

Okay, so I don't follow directions very well. :-) Last time I just made a sentence out of the word, not tying it into the story. Silly me. Lol! I love Elise's and Alex's sentences so I will just check in tomorrow to see who you chose. Did I mention, this is awesome?

Rhia Roberts said...

As Alex's supercilious laugh permeated my brain, for the first time in my life I felt a kindred spirit with those with murderous intents.

This is a great idea for the challenge.

Rhia at Five Minute Piece for Inspiration (around # 793 on A to Z Challenge)

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I tried but it was a lame sentence, so I'll just look forward to what you come up with tomorrow.

Jessica Salyer said...

Great Sentence. Thanks!

Lauren S. said...

I'm with Nick and Tracy, I like the other sentences.

I'll contribute tomorrow. :)

David Macaulay said...

I started to wonder if the man with the formidable mustache was a kindred spirit

Gina Gao said...

These are some great sentences. I really liked this quote and this post. Good job.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks!