Wednesday, March 7, 2012

IWSG #7- Am I a Writer?

It's the first Wednesday of the month, so you know what that means... Insecure Writer's Support Group. The monthly post where we get to air out all our writer's dirty laundry, Oh wait wrong post, I mean insecurities. This of course was thought up by the brilliant ninja master Alex J. Cavanaugh.



Last week I was at work talking to a couple of my co-workers, one of them being a good friend of mine. We somehow got on the subject of my blog. The conversation went a little like this:

Me: I'm a blogger.
Co-worker: Oh, what do you blog about?
Me: This and that, nothing much really.
Co-worker: Is it a well followed blog?
Me: I have a few followers.
My friend: Really, Jessica? She actually blogs about writing because she's also writer and she has almost 200 followers.
Here it comes...the dreaded question.
Co-worker: Do you have anything published? Can I find it on Amazon?
Me: No.
My friend: (who is now looking a little disgusted with me) She is half way through her first book.
Co-worker: Cool. Can I check out your blog?

I can readily admit I'm a blogger. I tell people about my blog if they're interested. I'll even give them my website. I'll even call myself a blogger, but not a writer. I write a blog. I've written over 30,000 words on my WIP, but yet I don't feel comfortable calling myself a writer. I feel like I'm pretending to be something I'm not if I say it. It would be like if I'm at work and I told everyone I was a doctor when really I'm a nurse.  

What qualifies you as a writer? When do you get to say I'm a writer? I once heard somewhere that if you write, you are a writer, but is that true? When do you feel like a writer?

20 comments:

Annalisa Crawford said...

Look at it this way, if you picked up some knitting needles and some wool, and put the two together you'd be a knitter (okay, knitter doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean).

If you put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, and make words you're a writer! :-)

Em-Musing said...

For me, I call myself a writer, even if I have nothing published. I will consider myself an AUTHOR when I am published.

Kyra Lennon said...

I had the hardest time telling people I am a writer when I first started. I thought it sounded horribly pretentious lol! However, I have been a freelance writer for roughly two years and I'm working on my first novel, so I find it much easier now!

farawayeyes said...

A professor told me, 'if you don't think you're a writer, who will?'

When people ask if I'm published, I tell them 'not yet, but I will be.'

Of course, when I'm totally insecure and people ask what I do, I tell them 'as little as possible'. Go figure.

Cassie Mae said...

Dude, call yourself a writer! People don't usually ask me what I do... cuz I don't talk to anyone, lol. But when my family introduces me to people, they are like, "Oh is this the sister who writes?"

Why yes, yes I am!

:D

LindaK said...

I find it hard to say "I'm a writer" - much easier to say "I write" - still trying to work out why! I definitely agree that if you write, you are a writer, though!

Jessica Salyer said...

Yeah, I don't know why it's hard for me to say. Thanks for stopping by.

Jessica Salyer said...

Being a freelance writer you are a writer. :) I just write for me.

Lady Gwen said...

That's a tough one for me, too. My husband says I'm a writer, but I hesitate. I haven't made any money at it yet. I've written my first novel and it's in editing. But yeah, I think we can call ourselves writers by now:) Loved your post - new follower here:)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You write - that makes you a writer!
I had to get comfortable telling people about my blog because it doubled as my website. Took a while!

M.J. Fifield said...

While I consider myself a writer, I almost never tell other people that's what I do. It's always my significant other or friends who let that secret out.

Sarah Pearson said...

I definitely think you're a writer. Writing is what you do. Tell yourself that, even if you don't want to tell anyone else!

Talli Roland said...

I'm with Sarah!

I remember when I used to be sooooo embarrassed telling people I was a writer and then scrambling to answer the dreaded follow-up question. But hold your head high! Lots of people fancy themselves to be a writer, but few actually practice the craft.

Tara Tyler said...

i know exactly how you feel!
i am a writer, i'm just an amateur in the minors trying to go pro in the big leagues. how's that?

themidnightnovelist said...

That's really funny! I readily admit I'm a writer, but hardly anyone knows I'm a blogger, too. I think it's because I'm still shy about putting my work out there - whether it's a short story, a novel, or a simple blog post. Something I definitely want to work on.

Have you read this post by Kristen Lamb yet?
http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/aspiring-is-for-pansies-tough-love-being-a-writer/

If you have, read it again. ;) If you haven't, definitely check it out. Completely opened my eyes. Now I introduce myself as a writer.

Jessica Salyer said...

I hadn't read it yet, but I just did. Great article. Thank you.

Jessica Salyer said...

Sounds great to me. :)

DL Hammons said...

This ones simple. You are a writer on her way to becoming a PUBLISHED WRITER! 'Nuff said!! :)

Sophia Chang said...

haha we'll never be rid of the dreaded "Are you published question"
kill it, kill it!

Thanks for coming by :)

Carole said...

Good luck. You have a nice blog.

As someone interested in words, I thought you might like to look into the word play in cryptic crosswords (if you aren't already into them). I have been doing a series of posts about cryptic clues and how to solve them. This is the first one in the series:
http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/cryptic-crosswords-solving-hints-1.html
Enjoy.