Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Guest Post, Aris Whittier: Why Does a Writer Self-Publish?

Today Aris Whittier is stopping by to talk about self-publishing. Thank you so much for coming, Aris.

Why Does a Writer Self-Publish?

As both a traditionally published author and a self-published author I can see the benefits of both and I can attest to the fact that each has their advantages/disadvantages and money can be made both ways.
There are many reasons why a writer chooses to self-publish. It could be as simple and they couldn’t’ find representation for their book so they chose to publish it themselves. Others don’t want to go through the whole querying and rejections process—it can be brutal and disappointing.
Lately I’m seeing a lot of established writers whose books were once traditionally published but have fallen out of print and whose rights have reverted to them and they are republishing. I fall into this category myself. My backlist books do very well and I’ve squeezed a lot of life out of them through self-publishing.
The current economic situation isn’t helping much either. Many of the NY publishing houses are laying off editors and cutting production. Small brick and mortar bookstores are closing and the big chain stores aren’t fairing much better.
Some writers are niche writers and there isn’t a huge market for their type of book so none of the Big 6 will even look at their manuscript. Other writers don’t want to wait for their book to be conventionally published. It can take a year or more to see your book in print once it’s been sold to a publisher. That’s a long wait for some authors. A lot of writers self-publish simply for control. They can manage and direct every aspect of the book. With a transitional publisher you don’t have much say over cover art, what reviewers it’s sent to, whether it will be released in hard or paperback, pricing, format, distribution,…you get the picture.There are a handful of authors who have used self-publishing to get their foot into the traditionally published door. Just look at Amanda Hocking (she secured a 6 figured deal on her self-published books), H.P. Mallory (secured a 3 book deal with a publisher), and Lisa Grace’s first two self-published books have been optioned by Motion Picture Pro Studios.
Whatever your reasons to self-publish remember there is no right or wrong way—do what works for you and your book. Success and money can be made if you’ve written a good book and work hard to get it in the reader’s hands.


Aris Whittier is a romance writer. She writes suspense, contemporary, and commercial woman's fiction. Her debut novel, Fatal Embrace is a romantic suspense that was featured in Cosmopolitan Magazine as a Red-Hot Read. Foolish Notions is a contemporary romance that has just a touch a mystery too. Across Eternity is a beautiful love story that transcends time. You can find Aris at http://awhittier.blogspot.com/

You can find her books on Smashwords and Amazon: Fatal Embrace, Foolish Notions Across Eternity, and Secrets

18 comments:

Patsy said...

We're lucky that we now have so many options to have (or attempt to have) our novels published.

Natalie Aguirre said...

So agree. There is no right or wrong answer on which way to get published. Thanks for sharing this.

~Sia McKye~ said...

Both require work, promotion skills, and writing the best stories you can. Some writers had the mistaken idea that self-pub would be *easy* and their books would sell like magic. I'm sure that by now they've figured out there is no short cut, just a lot of hard work to follow a dream.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know a couple traditionally published author who have self-published their titles as eBooks.

Krista McLaughlin said...

That is great advice. I've thought about self-publishing because my novel doesn't appeal to the Big 6 and I've been getting rejections for quite a while now. I do like that I would be able to control things about my book. :)

KarenG said...

I just love today's world for the writer, with all the options available to us now.

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

That was a very informative post. Hi I saw you over at Karen's place. I too am on the A-Z whirlwind and have down to "M" covered. Good luck and I'll be back!
dreamweaver

Elise Fallson said...

Having more control over your book is what appeals to me the most about self-publishing. But I'm not there yet. I need to get the darn thing finished first!

Jessica, I'm passing on some blog love your way with a blog award! Check it out at elisefallson.blogspot.com when you get the chance. (:

Sarah Pearson said...

I just like the fact that when the time comes, there is more than one option open for me to try :-)

Deniz Bevan said...

It's exciting being around when all this is happening - indie publishing is expanding in so many ways.

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks Elise. I have to get mine finished too. :)

Jessica Salyer said...

It's exciting to have so many options.

Jessica Salyer said...

You're right. Very good point.

Jessica Salyer said...

I sure if you have questions about it you could talk to someone who has done it. (Aris is really nice. :) ) Good luck.

Lisa Grace said...

I agree it's wonderful so many options are open to authors. I've developed a nice fan base after only having my eBooks out since May 2011 and July 2011.
Self-publishing also nabbed me the movie deal which is in preproduction/development right now.
I'm glad I made the decision to self-publish.

Rohit Singh Jain said...

Enlightening post. Thanks, it was quite informative!

Jessica Salyer said...

Thank you. Aris did a great job.

Jessica Salyer said...

Congratulations. That's awesome.