Thursday, March 1, 2012

Get Fired Up


Get Fired Up blogfest is being host by Melissa Sugar. It's all about helping a new blogger. So, I thought I'd give some tips that I wish I knew when I started.

Ways to get more followers:
  • Follow other people's blogs. People usually follow back.
  • Comment on other people's blogs.
  • Participate in blogfests. This has been the number one way I have gotten followers. (A to Z Challenge is coming up and will be a great way to get followers.  Go HERE for more info.)


Some other helpful tips:
  • Plan ahead, use the schedule option on your posts. You can write next weeks posts this week and have them automatically publish. (Expand post options at the bottom of the edit posts screen. Under post date and time click on scheduled at and then put in the time and date you would like it to self publish. When your done writing your post select publish post.)
  • Attach an email address to your name. It's much easier for people to respond to your comments. Plus, then you don't have to remember which posts you commented on and check back to see if they responded.
  • Turn off the word verification for comments. It's annoying for people, plus it makes it difficult for people to comment on phones, iPads, etc. See this great post by J A Bennett on how to turn it off: http://j-a-bennett.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-turn-off-word-verfication-on.html
  • Use google reader to help organize your followers. Even if you only have a few, I would suggest starting now so that you don't get overwhelmed when you get more. Here is a great post by Alex J. Cavanaugh on how to use this: http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-handle-blog-followers.html

I've passed all my limited blogging knowledge on to my friend Kelly Kizer Whitt. So go check out her blog out if you get a chance.  http://kellykizerwhitt.blogspot.com/

What tips do you wish you had when you started blogging?

    13 comments:

    Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

    Oh wow! Thanks for pointing out my Google Reader folder post. I'd be lost if I didn't do that. There is a ton of things I wish I'd known in the beginning and it took forever to get my blog off the ground.

    nutschell said...

    Great tips for sure! And I quite agree about the word verification being annoying. :)

    Jessica Salyer said...

    I can never seem to get the words right and have to try at least two times. :)

    Patsy said...

    These are great tips. I wish I'd known how much I'd enjoy it - I'd have started sooner!

    Jessica Salyer said...

    That's true too. I didn't know I'd meet so many nice people either.

    DL Hammons said...

    You've stockpiled some great tips! :)

    DeniseCovey_L_Aussie said...

    Hi Jessica. Some great tips and links. Word Verification is my pet hate. Recently I stopped commenting on posts using Catptcha Codes as they are ridiculously hard to read and I'm not always even sure the blogger knows google has put them on. Eeekrrrkkk...

    Denise

    Dawn Malone said...

    Thanks for sharing the tips! The word verifications are horrible now! Ever since they started including two words, it takes several tries to get it right.

    Josh Hoyt said...

    These are some great tips. I think that it is important that when you comment that you refer to something that was said in the post. Also keep a schedule of when you are going to post and stick to it.

    Melissa Sugar said...

    Great Tips, Jessica. I wish I would have known more of these when I started blogging. I hope the tip to remove the word verification spreads fast. I am off to read Kelly's blog. Thanks for participating. I hope to announce winners on Monday (if all continues to go well with my husband & son.) Good luck.

    Jessica Salyer said...

    I know I can never get it on the first try. Annoying.

    Gina Gao said...

    These are great tips.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    Jessica Salyer said...

    Thank you.