Monday, February 13, 2012

Origins Blogfest


This Blogfest is being hosted by none other than DL Hammons at Cruising Altitude 2.0, Alex J. Cavanuagh, Katie Mills at Creepy Query Girl, and Mathew MacNish at QQQE. It's all about the story of your origin. So, here's mine.


Ever since I was a little girl I've been an avid reader. My mom instilled the love of reading in me at a very early age. I loved to read anything that would transport me to a different world, give me a new experience, or take me on a ride. If it made me want to turn the page faster than I could read, make my heart race, tears fall so much that it blurred the page, or scare me into pulling the covers over my head, even better. The problem came in when I didn't like how the story was going. I wanted to change it. I wanted to decide how the story ended. Who fell in love with who. Who lived and who died. It got to the point where when reading Choose Your Own Adventure books I would read both options and decide which one I liked best. So, I started making up my own stories.

Many times over the years I would "start" writing a book. I would get as far as the first chapter, but never getting any farther. I never thought that I would actually write a book. When people asked me, "If you could be anything what would it be?" I always answered a writer. So, once again I started a first chapter, but this time was different. I didn't stop.

One night, I was having a hard time falling asleep. Somewhere in the state between awareness and sleep I began to daydream.  While lying there, I saw this whole scene play out in front of me. As I drifted off to sleep, it played over and over, becoming more and more real. When I woke up the next morning, I remembered the whole thing.

It was a scene in which a normal girl has an incident that changes her whole life. The life that she knew is over and she has to become something completely different. She has to find an inner strength in herself that she never knew she had. This scene completely consumed me for weeks. It was all I could think about. Repeating over and over, expanding and gaining a life of its own. I began to write it down, simply to get it out of my head. That scene became the first chapter of my book. Here I am, twelve chapters later, still going strong. Who would've known?

What's your origin?

37 comments:

Sarah said...

That's wonderful! Now--keep it up! Stories really can be all-consuming--that's my experience as well.

Matthew MacNish said...

That's such an awesome story! Very cool to get to know you and your writing origins better, Jessica.

Tara Tyler said...

i love dream stories, that i remember! sometimes they dont make sense.
glad yours came together =)

DL Hammons said...

You've become your own CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE! How cool is that! Thank you for being the inspiration behind this entire blogfest! Now get to work with the rest of those chapters!! :)

Margo Berendsen said...

I've had that all-consuming dream, too!!! It was the most amazing experience, and like you, I remembered every detail (which never happened with other dreams). It took me many years to get it written, now I find myself wishing for another dream like that for another idea I can be passionate about!

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm a new follower - and my post is at how my writing dream began. I almost kind of want to go back to my post and add the part about my dream... guess will have to save it for another time.

Heather Day Gilbert said...

Enjoyed your story! Yes, Choose your own Adventure was one of my all-time fave series. My dreams are USUALLY way too crazy to put together in logical form, but I'm all for dream-stories!

nutschell said...

Hi Jessica!
I'm dropping by from the Origins blogfest. I love how your book started with a vivid dream (reminds me of Stephanie Meyer). :)

your newest follower,
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks for dropping by. I wish I was as successful as Stephanie Meyer

Jessica Salyer said...

Thank you. Some of my dreams are a little too crazy too.

Jessica Salyer said...

I'm glad it did too. Thanks for stopping by. :)

S. L. Hennessy said...

When I can't sleep at night, I think of stories. That's how some of my best ones came about. Great origin story!

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Jessica,
Sounds like you're having fun chasing your dreams.

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks. That's my favorite time to think about my story line.

Ashley Nixon said...

Your trying to write a novel sounds like my trying to begin a blog. LOL. I love that you daydreamed about your book. I do that alllll the time!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

That's a wonderful story of how your novel began! Thanks for sharing!

I wish my dreams were half as clear or useful!

Tia Bach said...

I love when a story takes hold and won't let go. I saw your post and ran over to link my own origins story. Just in time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jessica Salyer said...

Your welcome. Glad I could be of inspiration. :)

farawayeyes said...

"The inspiration behind this entire blogfest' sounds like a whole new story there!

I'm amazed at you and others who have always known, or at least known from a very young age that they wanted to be a writer. Here's to dreams coming true.

M.J. Fifield said...

I used to do the same thing with Choose Your Own Adventure novels. A few years ago, I used to teach English and I had a group of students (high schoolers) who had never read a CYOA story so I went to the library and brought in a bunch, including my favorite when I was a kid. They had a lot of fun with them.

Caitlin said...

Hehe I'm glad to see that so many other people did the same with the Choose Your Own Adventure novels. That's really amazing that your novel came from a dream.

The Golden Eagle said...

Dreams are great places to find stories. :)

Thanks for sharing your origin!

Lydia Kang said...

That weird place between wakefulness and sleeping is a great place for ideas./ :)

Melissa Sugar said...

Great story. I love dream stories-too bad I can never remember very much (if any) of mine.

Jackie Jordan said...

Outstanding! Good luck and perseverance can accomplish anything ...

Melanie Stanford said...

I was just like you in that I always started things, got a few chapters in, and then never went any farther. Then I got possessed with this idea and went crazy with it- it ended up being my first completed MS.
Good luck with it and don't stop!

Jeremy Bates said...

Ohh, such a nice story and you are getting farther. hope you could finish it soon and share with us.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Keep on writing. It's a great way to go.

Julia King said...

I get most of my writing/blogging ideas during sleepless night (sleepless cuz my mind won't turn off). Glad you've kept on writing. Don't stop! You'll be done before you know it. :D I'm very proud of you!

Aris Whittier said...

I can't wait to read your book!! Sounds great! It's crazy...you'll find your story ideas will come when you least expect them…so always have a pen and paper available...LOL.

Scarlett said...

Oh, to know the rhyme and reason behind the timing of our wishes!

I also know the feeling of a vision that comes along and then just sticks. Like a snowflake on your eyelash that leaves you excited, feeling enthusiastic, and a wee bit like there's something in your eye that just won't quit bugging you!

Write! Write!! Keep the momentum. (She says to herself)

Paul Tobin said...

I think you can stop reading a book when you like and never be asked to explain your action. I liked the way life inspires your work.

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks Paul. I often stop reading books if I don't like them. Life's too short to read a bad book. :)

Jessica Salyer said...

I keep a notebook and pen in my purse for that very reason.

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks! Hopefully I can finish sooner than later. :)

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks Jeremy. Me too!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm a bit late, but I'm glad you've managed to get past chapter 1.

BTW I've tagged you on my blog.

Misha Gericke said...

Hmm. I believe that it only takes the right idea to finish a story. None of the times when I wrote for the sake of writing did I finish the story. :-)