AW: I can’t tell you how many readers have emailed me insisting that I write a sequel to Across Eternity. I hadn’t considered continuing on Logan and Amber's story, but you guys have gotten my wheels turning…I’ll let you know if there’s a sequel in the future. I am currently working on a contemporary romantic suspense. Hopefully, it will be out next year.
JS: Why did you decide to go with self-publishing?
JS: Have you sent out query letters?
AW: Yes, I queried dozens of agents before I signed with the agent that sold my first book.
JS: What do you like about self-publishing?
AW: I like the control an author has. With my first two books, I really didn’t have a say over the covers or where the book would be sold and in what format. I had to give up most of my rights for a certain amount of years. I like that I have the power to do what I want with my self-published books.
JS: When did you decide to write your first novel?
AW: When I was in college. I took a creative writing course and I was inspired to write a novel.
JS: What advice would you give to anyone interested in self-publishing?
AW: Do your homework and see if it’s right for you. The biggest drawback is that you are solely responsible for everything…editing, cover art, distribution, marketing, pricing…you get the picture. When you self-publish you have to be more than just a writer. A lot of authors only want to write.
JS: How do you get your ideas?
AW: My inspiration comes from my love of life, my imagination, and the fact that I absolutely love to write.
JS: How long does it take you to write your average book?
AW: About a year. I’m a mom, with two kids, so they come first.
1. Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate dipped in peanut butter or on strawberries!
2. Coffee or tea? Coffee—it is truly my only addiction in life!
3. Beach or mountains? Mountains, I absolutely love to hear the wind blowing through the tall pine trees. I also enjoy the rich piney smell of the forest.
4. Last book read? I’m reading The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory. I’m several chapters in a completely engrossed.
5. Favorite author? Hands down Judith McNaught. She is why I write romance. Once and Always is my most favorite romance novel. I’d love to be Victoria because I simply MUST HAVE Jason!
6. Most played song on iPod? Anything by Enrique Iglesias…I’m loving this guy!
7. Favorite movie? Do I have to pick just one?!? Pretty Woman.
8. Outliner or panster? I usually have a basic outline of the plot and characters and then I write-as-it-comes.
9. Heels or flats? Flats…safety first! Heels ONLY on special occasions because I have to concentrate when I walk…who wants to do that!
10. Chapstick or lipstick? Lipstick! A swipe of color on my lips and I feel put together…who cares what my hair or clothes look like…LOL
Aris Whittier is a romance writer. She writes suspense, contemporary, and commercial woman's fiction. Her debut novel, Fatal Embrace is a romantic suspense that was featured in Cosmopolitan Magazine as a Red-Hot Read. Foolish Notions is a contemporary romance that has just a touch a mystery too. Across Eternity is a beautiful love story that transcends time.
You can find her books on Smashwords and Amazon: Fatal Embrace, Foolish Notions, Across Eternity, and Secrets.