Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What I'm Reading

     One of my favorite things in the world to do is read. In my lifetime, I cannot imagine all the books I've read. Sometimes it's one a month and sometimes it's one a day. If I had to guess, I'd say it's somewhere in the 10,000 range. (Which doesn't seem like a lot, but when you factor in that I've been reading for about 28 years which equals 10,220 days, that's a lot of books.)

  I read a lot of different genres; romance, chick lit, YA, mystery, historical, paranormal, suspense, for the most part you suggest it, I'll read it. Anything that can transport me to a different place, I'll go. I love a book that can make me laugh out loud, cry so hard my tears blur the page, or get so enthralled I can't turn the pages fast enough. That's what I hope to do for my readers.

So, what have I been reading lately?


The book I finished last week, for my book club, was The Bone House by Brian Freeman. It's a mystery that centers on Mark Bradley and his wife Hillary. They live in a rural Wisconsin area and their quiet life is disrupted when Mark is accused of having an affair with one of his teenage students. Hillary stands by her husband even after he gets fired from his teaching job and they practically get shunned from the town. So when, while on vacation, a teenager from their town turns up dead, Mark is the first person the police look at. Can Hillary believe in her husband again? Did he do it?  Freeman has great storytelling ability. This book kept me intrigued all the way through. I really enjoyed it. I never guessed who did it ether, I wasn't really trying though. ;)


The book I read this week was Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. I admit it. I love the series. I started reading them when New Moon was released and had to wait for her to write the last two. I had to refresh my memory for Friday. :) If you have never read the books, I would highly suggest reading them. There is a reason there is so much hype around them. They are good books. They are well written keep you interested all the way through. Rereading Breaking Dawn reminded me how much I enjoyed the series, especially this book. I think it's my favorite. I love the romance between Bella and Edward, the suspense with the Volturi, seeing Bella come into her own as she becomes what she seemingly was always meant to be, and the way we could begin to understand Jacob more by "walking in his shoes" for awhile. This book has everything for romance to suspense to comedy. It's a fitting end for a great series.

So, what are you reading? Have you read these books? Did you like them?

5 comments:

DL Hammons said...

WOW...you're what I'd call a prolific reader! I haven't read either of those, but I am reading the last book in THE STRAIN trilogy. Those vampires are more my speed! :)

Sarah Pearson said...

I've read Breaking Dawn but not Bone House. I love the sound of that, it's going on my list. I'm like you, I'll pretty much read any genre I can get my hands on :-)

Writer J said...

I don't think I've ever read that many books--but I have read all of the Twilight books by Stephenie Meyer as well, and they're definitely addicting. Have you read "The Host?" also by Stephenie Meyer. Another great book to read.

Lucy D. Briand said...

I could have written some of this post myself. I love to read and be taken away to new places in different Genres. I mostly read YA Paranormal and Urban Fantasy now as it is what I write, but I do indulge in a good adult suspense every now and then. Erica Spindler and Allison Brennen mostly. I haven't read the Bone House But I definitely read Breaking Dawn. The Twilight series was the first YA Series I'd read and that's when I knew I had found the Genre that spoke to me. Amazing books. I am currently reading The unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I acquired this book at book signing for Becca Fitzpatrick during my vacation in San Francisco. There were three other authors there and Michelle Hodkins was one of them. I just started it, so I don't have an opinion yet. I do know that everyone who has read it has loved it. Sounds promising.

Matthew MacNish said...

I'm reading A Dance with Dragons, by George R.R. Martin. Loving it.