Tuesday, November 22, 2011

In Order

A couple months ago I got stuck on a chapter. What happened in this chapter greatly affected how the ending would go. So, of course, it got me thinking about the end. I was thinking so much about it that I ended up writing a little part of the ending. This week, I have found myself thinking a little ahead again (not because I had to, I just couldn't get a particular scene out of my head.) I ended up writing that scene. Which leads me to question...Do you write in order?

    When I envisioned writing a book, I figured you start at point A and go to point B. I assumed that people write from the beginning to the end, now I'm not so sure. Are you the type of person that writes from beginning to end or do you write whatever scene is "speaking loudest" to you at the time?

8 comments:

DL Hammons said...

Yep...beginning to end...no short cuts. It would feel weird to me doing it any other way. :)

themidnightnovelist said...

I agree with the above! Skipping scenes would feel strange to me, so I always try to do it sequentially. With that being said, something I write a rough outline of a chapter and then move on, because every once in a while that particular scene isn't "speaking" to me as loudly as another one is.

I have a friend who is taking quite a huge undertaking with a book she's writing (it follows a man's life that spans roughly four hundred years...and she's writing ALL of it). She's skipping around a lot - I find it terribly confusing, but it seems to work for her.

Writer J said...

I know someone who writes their story out of order and it still works for them. I usually write in order, from beginning to end.

Sarah Pearson said...

I usually write in order but, like The Midnight Novelist, I have been known to move on after little more than a rough outline :-)

mish said...

I'm not too sure yet, about whether I write from beginning to end, or as the scene "speaks" to me... I'm still in the discovery process...
Nice to meet you *waves*

~MISH~
http://writer-in-transit.co.za/

Victorie Blake said...

i write point a to point b. i end up writing down things that pop into my head and save them for later. i feel it's confusing because you don't know when that scene is perfect until you are writing it. i have sticky notes always will me for a new idea. it's pretty helpful.

Elizabeth said...

Nice blog.

NEW FOLLOWER

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

farawayeyes said...

Great post. If a scene is speaking to me,I write it and work it in later. If I didn't do that I would totally lose it. Also, if something is 'speaking' to me, I don't have enough brainpower to fight it. These last two pieces - writing the ending - FIRST - YIKES! That was something new for me.