Tuesday, October 4, 2011

IWSG-#2 Overcoming

    This is my second blog for the Insecure Writer's Support Group, the amazing brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. Here is the link to his blog   http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/p/insecure-writers-support-group.html   At this link you can also find the links to the other blogs participating.

    The last few weeks have been very challenging for me. In addition to all that I do, I also started school back up. (I have been going back to get a higher nursing degree.) So needless to say I'm a little crunched for time. I have been trying to find a way to balance all the things I need to do. Between being a wife, mother, working full time, taking my class, writing my book, and blog; I don't have a lot a free time. I am learning to prioritize and take one day at a time.

    My WIP hasn't been coming along as fast as I would like it to, simply because I don't have enough time to write. That's okay though it will get done. A few weeks ago I was stuck on a chapter and I finally finished it. I felt a great sense of accomplishment. Here was this chapter that was fighting me every step of the way. It was battle to see who would win. I mapped it out in my head and fought my way through it. When it was all over we were both a little bruised, but still standing. Two of the people who read my WIP as I write it, said it was the best yet. It also got me fixated on the ending. The things that I had to work through in this chapter directly effected how the story would end. I became so obsessed with the end that I ended up writing some of it. I believe these pages turned out to be the best I have written so far and I am super excited for people to read it. I just have to fill in the rest of the story first.

    By overcoming my block on this chapter I am no longer afraid that I can't do this. I will write this book. It may take me longer than I planned, but I will get it done. The story is inside me screaming to be let out. It so desperately wants to be heard. I'm the voice that it has chosen to tell it to and I will do my best to do it well. I will overcome all the obstacles that get in my way. In the end I will have fulfilled my dream of writing a novel.

8 comments:

Sarah Pearson said...

Well done for getting that chapter finished. Sometimes we're so fixated on getting to the end, that we don't take time to enjoy the accomplishments along the way :-)

Isis Rushdan said...

You sound like you are on your way to accomplish the goal of finishing the book. With the end in sight, it will be easier for you reach the destination. Great progress!!

Nancy Thompson said...

Hi Jessica! New follower here. Found you through Alex's IWSG, of which I, too, am a member.

As Alex has suggested, I'm hopping around and trying to make new connections. I see you are relatively new to this blogging thing. I've been at it for a year now, since I completed the first draft of my novel. It gets rough trying to fit it all in. I posted about just that thing last week.

Your insecurities are shared by most writers, I can assure you. I'm in a similar place. While I've finished my first novel, I just can't seem to get moving on my second. It's been very frustrating. I wrote about this in my IWSG post today.

I'd love it if you'd come by and maybe leave a comment and commiserate.

Laura M. Campbell said...

Your positive mindset despite all your obstacles will carry you to the end of your WIP. It's inspiring! Although you might have set out to talk about your insecurities, I think you courage and determination to keep moving forward will help those in similar predicaments. Good luck!

Lynda R Young said...

congrats on getting past your block. It's fantastic you have a positive attitude toward the book. I think that's essential to get such a huge project finished.

Jessica Salyer said...

Thank you for the kind comments.

Ann said...

Sounds like you faced your WIP chapter demon and won. Well done you! Good luck with the return to school.

Green Monkey said...

You (unlike me) are your own best cheerleader! NOTHING can stop you. take your time, enjoy the process....