Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Time Management Smanagement

    Raise your hand if your busy. Who isn't these days? Our society makes it seem like if you're not multitasking, you're not doing enough. With everything we put on our figurative plates it's amazing anything gets done.
    I have a time management problem. I don't have enough of it. Between being a wife, mother, nurse, student, writer, and blogger it's amazing I get anything done. Thus the fact that I haven't written a blog in a while. My goal when I started this was at least one a week. Failed. When I started writing my novel my goal was for one chapter a week. Failed. My house is sometimes messy and sometimes I take my kids to McDonald's for dinner because I don't feel like cooking. So what! It doesn't mean I'm a failure. I am doing the best I can.
    I think that we all strive to be this perfect ideal person. Do they exist? In who's definition of perfect? I have a really good friend of mine who does this. She is a wonderful friend, mother, and wife; but, nothing she does in her eyes is ever good enough. When in reality she just needs to cut herself a little slack.
   I have to remember that. When I am feeling bad because I didn't get my blog done, a chapter written, or my house is a little messy. Sometimes you just do the best you can.


If you have a great time management tip or something that has helped you, please share it with me in the comments! I'd love to hear from you.

4 comments:

Sarah Pearson said...

Jessica, I don't have any tips except to say that if you don't get something done, you haven't failed, you just didn't get something done. Luckily, we get another 24 hours tomorrow to try again :-)

Angelina C. Hansen said...

I do what I can, when I can. Sometimes my goal for the day is to rest. I learned the hard way that trying to be perfect is the best way to set oneself up for misery and disappointment. I still catch myself trying sometimes, but I've made a lot of progress.

Prioritize is the best time management advice I give. Figure out what's most important to you and do those things first. Oh, and limit time "farting around on the Internet" as my favorite author, Laurie Halse Anderson says. ^_^

BillS said...

As Angelina said, prioritze. The is only so much time & we do what we can. As with money, we humans tend to take the exta & find something to use it. Then shortly thereafter we find we don't have enough agan. One time mgmt toolthat helped me, but you have to make the short-termtime investment to reaps its benefits, is the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology. It's worth the time nvestment! You can find plenty of infoon the net about it & the library may have the books or audiobooks. Http://davidco.com

Kate Coursey said...

Hi Jessica,

My name's Kate, and I'm a teenaged YA author from Utah. I found your blog earlier today and I've so enjoyed reading through your posts. I get what you mean....I'm a full-time college freshmen, I live in the dorms (making it nearly impossible to get work done), I work three jobs, and I'm revising one book for my agent and one for my editor. It helps me to make schedules, and to prioritize. I write down what I'm going to do every hour of ever day. A little OCD of me, but hey, it works :).

Anyways, looking forward to more of your posts!