Thursday, September 1, 2011

Going Through Writing Withdrawl

   I have barely written anything for the last two weeks. It's driving me crazy! All of my previous chapters have practically written themselves. They pretty much flowed out of my fingers into the computer; however, not this one. This chapter is kicking my butt, and therefore I have been procrastinating a bit. Okay, not a bit a lot. I am going though serious writing withdrawal. I feel like a part of me is missing.
   Ever since I started writing this book, it's been easy for me. It was as if someone was whispering the story in my ear, telling me what to write. I could easily sit down and write a chapter at a time. My only enemy was time, not having enough.
   Then I reach this chapter, my nemesis. It's not an emotional scene by any means. It, at surface level, isn't even an important one. It should be a super easy one to write. Until you look underneath, you see it's a strategical scene. The decisions I make for this next chapter will ultimately dictate the ending of the book. Maybe that's why I keep finding other reasons not to write. Or, maybe I am starting to doubt my abilities.
   Well, no longer! I will not be a slave to a chapter. I can always go back and rewrite. So tonight, I am pushing through. It will be written. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I feel your pain! I've run into that 'dreaded wall' in every manuscript I've written. I swear a first draft is like a relationship. You fall in love, get hitched, and then wham -the honeymoon is over - here comes the hard stuff. Just keep pushing through and you'll fall in love all over again! Good luck!!!!

regectedriter said...

UGH WRITING WITHDRAWAL! The shakes, the nausea, the uncramped hands! I've totally been there!

If I may offer a maybe inspirational piece of advice that you can take or leave...sometimes the best way to move past a block like that is to just write it out anyway, as horribly clunky and stiff it might come out.

A teacher once told me something that was really helpful- You can't edit Nothing. If there's something written there, at least there's something to look at and go OH NO THIS IS ALL WRONG! And then you can take out your sword and chop it in half and reconstruct it and make it perfect. The best part? You'll be able to get back into the flow of writing.

You are clearly a gifted writer- and having writing withdrawal is one of the most painful things to have, especially when the story wants so much to come out.

I guess my most major point is YEAH GIRL, KEEP ON WRITING! And my second is, I hope you can start writing again, soon. I want to read that best seller when it's done. =)